Sunday, November 13, 2011

SAN BENITO COUNTY BIRDING: RAPTOR SHOW: IT'S 24/7

Howdy, Birders,
Out for a beautiful evening drive to see the raptors on Santa Ana Valley and John Smith Roads, with a short jog on Quien Sabe Road. Highlights included both adult and immature BALD EAGLES; seven FERRUGINOUS HAWKS; five GOLDEN EAGLES; one WHITE-TAILED KITE; one NORTHERN HARRIER, along with an assortment of RED-TAILED HAWKS and AMERICAN KESTRELS, and a few LOGGER HEAD SHRIKES, as below. I missed Prairie Falcon, maybe because I was out much later in the day. Ran into another birder from Monterey who said that he had seen one.
Several Burrowing Owls have been reported to me. I looked for the one reported near mile post 3 on Quien Sabe Road, but did not find it. However, I found one BURROWING OWL on Santa Ana Valley Road, at a location where I have not previously seen one. Decided to try John Smith Road, as one was recently reported there. No luck. However, a GREAT-HORNED OWL was near a ranch house. Then, a SHORT-EARED OWL flew from one side of the road to the other. I stopped and squeaked like a mouse, and a BARN OWL flew in!
So, it is a feast out there, 24/7. If you are around in the evening, it might be worth hanging out to see what happens. You might even encounter a magic sunset, such as this evening, below.
Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater
San Benito County Birding

No comments: